пятница, 20 июня 2008 г.

Iraqis Fear Future

Here in Iraq, U.S. military authorities said today that four suspects in the murders of two American civilians appear to be real Iraqi police - not disguised guerillas, as first thought.

One of those killed Tuesday was Fern Holland, a human rights adviser for Iraqi women. Her murder underscores America`s challenge to restore security and confidence in post-war Iraq.

Optimism is a rare commodity in Iraq. It`s not always on the sidewalks.

It`s definitely not in the home of the Da`ami family. Before the war started, I visited him. They all survived, physically unscathed, but now, Likaa Da`ami is mentally scarred.

LIKAA DA`AMI, BAGHDAD RESIDENT: Before the war, when I used to look at Baghdad from the 15th floor, this view, for me, is just like a paradise. I love this view, I love Baghdad. Now, I don`t feel anything about this city. As if I`m a stranger, I don`t want to go out.

RATHER: Likaa`s worry, like many Iraqis, is the insecurity that has bred since the downfall of the old regime.

Under Saddam, Saddoun al-Zubaydi translated for the dictator. But he has no sympathy for the former Iraqi president.

SADDOUN AL-ZUBAYDI, FORMER IRAQI TRANSLATOR: Iraqi people are afraid of the future. The only thing that they fear today is the future.

RATHER: Everyday, without fail, Zubaydi, who also served as an ambassador under Saddam, collects his teenage daughter from school. Their house is not far, but the daughter is vulnerable.

You have to do that because of fear of kidnapping or violence?

AL-ZUBAYDI: Yes, yes, especially if you were an ambassador, people think you have a lot of money, which, happily, is not the case. I mean, if I had a lot of money, I would worry more.

RATHER (voice-over): In the old Iraq, security of this kind was never an issue, and, even if it was, it was kept under wraps. But now, satellite dishes are everywhere, and with them, comes the news of the latest kidnappings and violence.

Wassan Jafar wants to stop the criminals, and build a new Iraq.

WASSAN JAFAR, IRAQI CIVIL DEFENSE CORPS: I like the job with American soldiers - yes.

RATHER: Before the war, she was a pharmacist. Now, she is a poster child for the Iraqi Civil Defense Force, charged with keeping order, an empowered woman, literally, who wants to be an inspiration to others, but is finding the going tough.

She says, "In Iraq, people, especially men, think badly of me. They think I`m doing a man`s job and that I`m a bad woman."

Комментариев нет: